Thread: Pet Stores
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2008, 09:03 PM   #12
cj125
Mia, Max and Moe's Mom
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnmymax View Post
You would be suprised how many registered puppies there are in pet shops. Not so much AKC because they have very strict policies regaurding registration(the pups would have to be registered as owned by the shop first, then could be sold to individuals).
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnmymax View Post
But alot of ckc pups are in pet shops. I own a pet grooming salon. About a week ago I had a lady come into my store, a total stranger, and ask me if she could put her "yorker puppies" in my store for sale. At first I couldn't figure out what she was talking about. I kept thinking what the heck is a yorker??? I finally figured out she meant yorkie. She is a "breeder" of CKC yorkies. When I told her no she got upset and wanted to know why?? She had seen other puppies in my window before....I absolutely went off on her in the middle of my store. I do occasionally have puppies in my window.....rescue puppies from our local shelter.
Unfortunately, this is not the case - at least here in NV. Most of the dogs sold in petstores are AKC but are from Puppymills/BYB. The BYB's register the "litter" and then the millers (Hunte Corp) do the same thing to the petstores - not expensive at all, especially for the prices they get from the unknowledgable buyer. Breeders are not required to disclose who they sell to so... It's not illegal and the USDA allows it. I know because my Mia is from Petland (before I knew about these places) and I researched it afterwards. It's very disceiving because you think that if they're AKC that they're coming from decent breeders - not ever true. I don't mean to offend anyone but no "good" breeder would ever put their puppies in a petstore. Good for you helping rescue dogs - I wish more would do that and then these puppymills would be out of business.

Sorry I don't know why the top is showing up like that

Last edited by cj125; 06-25-2008 at 09:06 PM.
cj125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!