View Single Post
Old 06-25-2008, 05:26 AM   #3
TatumsMom
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Oh, no..... I would never shave her down just because of fleas. How does shorter hair keep her from getting fleas? You need to get tough with the situation in the house - treating carpets and couches and such and concentrate on keeping them out of the house. You can get Capstar pills also that will kill any fleas on her and can be given for a few days in a row. My vet recently told me about a new pill and I can't for the life of me remember what it's called but he said this season the fleas are just horrible in our area and that I could use my flea/heartworm pill and topical flea stuff (sorry, not at home right now so I can't look at which ones we use) like on the 1st of the month and then also give this other pill on the 15th.... so stagger them basically. We haven't decided to do that yet but it may come to that if we continue to have problems - luckily we've been doing okay lately. But sorry, I just don't see how shaving down the dog would prevent her from getting fleas.

Also, you mentioned putting the topical on and then giving a bath. I know with the one I use, you aren't supposed to bathe the dog until about 3 days after (or before) an application. The oils on the skin is what spreads the topical stuff. But you may be talking about a different one that what I use.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!