Thread: June Bugs!
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2008, 11:29 PM   #9
sammiz
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie's Mom View Post
In the spring/early summer we get centapedes here and I recently caught Archie hutning down and (gulp) killing one. I guess he figures he's got to hunt down something, seeing that Yorkies were designed to hunt rats and we (thankfully!) don't have any of those!
This would be worrisome to me. Read this:

Some species of centipedes can be hazardous to humans because of their poisonous bites. Although a bite to an adult human may only be painful, to those with allergies that are similar to that of bee stings and small children are at greater risk.

I don't know what kind you have but maybe you could do an image search on Google and try to find one so you know if it is hazardous to your baby.

Then yet another site says this about the 'house' centipede:

Most house centipedes are incapable of penetrating human skin with a bite or a sting. Those that can give an effect no worse than a minor bee sting. The symptoms generally disappear within a few hours. However, the bite can cause health problems for those few who are allergic to the mild venom of its bite, which is similar to that of most normal centipedes. It is possible in some cases that a rash may develop and many minuscule bumps can form, an allergic reaction which might be comparable to a bee sting in terms of pain, or to a mosquito bite in terms of itchiness. The house centipede's venom is too weak to cause any serious harm to larger pets such as cats and dogs.

I would definitely find out what kind it is.

Eeeeee-ew! I hate bugs! All of them!
sammiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!