View Single Post
Old 06-24-2008, 10:29 PM   #1
sammiz
No Longer a Member

Default What I found out about fleas today. YIKES!

I know that fleas are awful and that they bite. Makes for a miserable little Yorkie.

Today while we were at the vet, we had a discussion about fleas. These rescue kitties I have brought fleas in with them and now my baby is just miserable. AND...Frontline did nothing to help.

So I got a lesson today. I did not know that a flea 'feeds' between four and six times a day. And if my baby has only four of them, that doesn't really sound like a lot until you figure that will give her 16 to 24 bites every day!!

She has been miserable and I have been frustrated because I have used everything I can think of without harming her. We did the Frontline. No better. We bathed in Dawn dish soap and only found one or two dead ones on her but none in the water.

So today...my vet recommended Advantage. The action of Advantage is very different from Frontline. It only covers the 'top' of the skin surface as opposed to absorbing into the deeper tissues like Frontline does. Sassy got sick for a day the last time I used Frontline.

She also told me I was bathing her too much (once a week). I am now going to do it this way...bath before application. Rinse only and apply conditioner until two weeks have passed. Then I can bathe her regularly. Then in two weeks another regular bath and reapplication.

I am desparately hoping it works better. Darn fleas!! Her sweet little body is covered in bites. And every night I go over her with a 'fine tooth comb'...literally. Making minuet parts and still can't find the stinking things.

Aaaarrrggghhh!!

__________________________________________________ ___

Last edited by sammiz; 06-24-2008 at 10:32 PM.
sammiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!