View Single Post
Old 06-23-2008, 03:40 PM   #1
Jan & the M&M's

Default I have a question about ID Prescription Dog Food

Maggie has been diagnosed with liver shunt following the analysis of a kidney stone (ammonium urate) and the stats of her bile acid tests. My vet is emailing Dr. Tobias to get her recommendations. She is going to be putting her on ID Prescription Food and also Lacticade (don't know if I'm spelling that correctly.)

Can you give me some idea of my monthly expense for the food and the medicine? I think she will be giving her the canned, not the dry kibble.

Maggie's bile acid test was 162/460. Her blood panel was normal. She was eating Merrick's Grammy's Pot Pie - the vet put her on that last month, before we knew it was liver shunt. She has not been doing well on it, lethargic and glazed eyes. I took her off of it myself last week, started giving her yogurt, veggies and a bit of cottage cheese. She is a different dog, zipping around the house full of energy, not listless, not sleeping all the time like she was. The bile testing was done while she was eating that food, I wonder if the numbers would have been different had she not been eating it.

From what I've read, it seems that if we can do surgery it is best option for her. I read that the success rate is 85%, that's very good, but what I'm not reading is what percentage of dogs survive the surgery. I'm terrified that she will die in surgery. She's a young dog, only 2, and in good shape except for this.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks so much. Jan and Mags

You can see pictures of her and her new adopted sister, Mollie at my blog pages -

all the latest from heavensville...

If you visit be sure and click on the dogs pictures so you can see them up close. You have to scroll down a bit for their pictures...
Jan & the M&M's is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!