View Single Post
Old 06-23-2008, 06:45 AM   #11
Julie1760
Donating YT 500 Club Member

The US healthcare system needs a serious update. Many businesses are dropping healthcare coverage to save money. More and more people are going without and hoping nothing goes wrong.

If you are self employed, it really sucks. You can't get any coverage from the government and it costs a fortune to get private insurance. The deductible is high and the coverage sucks. We've been self employed for over 20 years and deal with this problem. My husband has a family history of high blood pressure and heart problems, so his Dr. put him on medication for cholesterol and high blood pressure, for precautionary purposes, now we have a terrible time getting any coverage for him.

Our premiums right now are over $850.00 a month with a $1500. deductible for each of us per incident, so we basically don't have any coverage. I've thought of going out and getting a "real" job, (as people call it) but I can't afford to let our other business fail because I'm not there to work. Jobs are not like they used to be around here either. Most jobs don't pay much and don't offer any benefits, so it is a vicious cycle. We are pretty much stuck where we are. We work harder than most people who work a regular job, and we are penalized for it.

With gas prices, food costs, utilities, just about everything is going up and with all the flooding, it is going to get much worse, we don't know what is going to happen to us. When it comes to, do we pay our insurance or buy food and heat, I guess the insurance will have to go and we'll just have to pray that nothing serious happens.

We have property up in Canada, and have been thinking we would retire and live up there so we'd have some healthcare, but nothing is perfect and every county has it problems.

Julie1760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!