View Single Post
Old 06-21-2008, 12:39 PM   #6
Brooklynn
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyandTiffy View Post
Lady Breeders...Since I read about Rose loosing her precious baby and I read all the replies to her...I've been thinking about all the blood test and wondering really how safe they are??? I hope some of you don't mind if I use your replies to Rose as questions...But this really concerns me about drawing blood from Yorkies...

I DO NOT want this THREAD to turn UGLY and be CLOSED this is for LEARNING for ALL Breeders...Please when replying try to stay nice. PLEASEEEE. Hugs, Lee

I have to think about the puppies having blood drawed from their jugler vain (I had one couple wanting a puppy from me and their puppy wasn't eating right and they took it to a Vet and they drawed blood from it's jugler vain and it died right there on the table)

How safe is this for ANY Yorkie, Male or Female of ANY AGE or ANY WEIGHT???

Now another blood drawing question: Is any blood take from ANY Yorkie, Male or Female of ANY AGE or ANY WEIGHT safe to do if it isn't from their Jugler Vain??? Could it cause them harm or them to die???

(Donna) Thank you for letting me borrow this. "Of course it can rear it's ugly head at anytime..." Does this mean the Liver Shunts can rear it's ugly head at anytime??? Is this time frame at any point in a Yorkie Male or Females Lifetime???

Also if a Adult Yorkie Male or Female has been tested for Liver Shunt and the TEST shows that the Male or Female Does NOT to have it, then can Liver Shunt appear at anytime during the rest of that Male or Female Yorkies lifetime ??? Hugs to all and thanks for any answers to help me learn more on this subject Lee
Lee, They are either born with it or it can be aquired. I believe in testing the parents before breeding but know your lines. Yes, shunts can rear it's ugly head at anytime from back at least 10 generations. I do recommend BAT testing on all breeding adults and puppies 6 months or older but with this in mind the only way I'd BAT test younger if signs were there of a possible liver issue or any other genetic issue. Until a genetic marker is established all we can do as responsible/reputable breeders is do a complete blood panel and BAT's on "ANY" breeding adult and "KNOW" your pedigrees. I'm not going to say those people are wrong in wanting testing done earlier than 6 months but I as a breeder will and do recommend puppies be at least 6 months old before it's done. BAT's are NO guarantee liver issues aren't going to show up but it's all we have until a genetic marker is found. I stand behind my breeding program and will do whatever means are necessary to do right by who I place a puppy with within limits of course. I as a breeder have to be protected as does the puppy buyer. Anyway I hope this helps at least from my prespective.

Donna Bird
Brooklynn's Yorkshire Terriers
Brooklynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!