View Single Post
Old 06-20-2008, 06:54 PM   #8
BamaFan121s
Donating YT 10K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDuke View Post
I am curious about your comments on the "teacup" issue, I was told "Teacup" and "toy" were in reference to weight by an extremely decorated and experienced breeder. Maybe I misunderstood , but while researching this breed I was told there were three different size catagories.... As one CKC Registrated breeder had yorkies that were 8-12 pounds.

I am concerned with why you would think a 7.7 dog isn't suitable to breed, she is quite a stunning girl....Is there inheritantly something wrong with that size that I am not aware of?
Yorkies are all classified as "toy" dogs. Some people used the term teacup to market extremely small dogs, but in actuallity, there is no such thing. If you are being advised that, I would look for a new source of information.

The standard for Yorkies as per AKC is "not to exceed 7 pounds." One of many aspects of what makes up the standard for the breed. If one is going to breed Yorkies, then they should do just that--breed them to meet the standards that define the breed--why breed to produce something that does not match the very breed description itself?

At this point, your female is still very much a puppy--only time will tell if she develops the qualities that should be passed on. Nothing is ever set in stone at such a early age. However, given her size now and considering she is probably not done growing, chances are she will be considerably past the standard as far as weight is concerned. Does that mean she anything less than a wonderful and a stunner otherwise? Certainly not!

There are so many aspects of breeding other than just having a willing male and female...genetics, health screening, experience w/ whelping and caring for a litter, etc (Browse the breeding section...there is some great info there!) Studying up on the standard is just a start. Again, preparing yourself thoroughly on all aspects involved will benefit both yourself and your dogs and if the going gets tough and things don't go according to plan, you'll be ready to handle any situation.
BamaFan121s is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!