View Single Post
Old 06-20-2008, 12:03 PM   #1
Jennne20
Yorkie Yakker

Default Mama is doing a MUCH better job today..

If you read my post yesterday then you know how scared I was that my female dog was rejecting her babies (4 of them!) now that they are 12 days old. She just suddenly acted like she didn't want anything to do with them and would not feed them or lay with them or anything.....

So, I tried moving them all to a totally secluded location, thinking there was too much noise and such. No, didn't work and actually made her even more indifferent about their cries.

So I tried putting her in with them, putting them on her to nurse and literally FORCING ( not physically, just with commands) for her to stay with them til they were done.

Then she became VERY difient and was directly disobeying the commands.

I decided that I was, in fact, going to be forced to take over their care or she was going to starve them.

To make it easier on myself with 3 am feedings and cleanings I moved them in to the livingroom. Its not normally loud or very "active" room since the kids play in their own rooms and we watch tv in the family room, but it is not NEAR as secluded and quite as were I had her. Just closer to my bedroom and easier for me. Plus I figured it would make them well socialized puppies and used to household noise.

After I moved them she decided maybe she did want her babies. She threw an absoulte barking fit and was jumping around wanting in the cage with them. I had it closed up, since I did not want my male getting in there (I doubt he would eat them or anything, but he likes to lay on soft warm things and puppies are soft and warm ) So I let her in, and it worked like a charm. She is back to feeding and cleaning and checking on them and putting fear in to my male if he dare walk in the room.

Maybe where I had them she felt was so safe that she did not need to care for them?? Either way, they are staying were they are so she will care for them!
Jennne20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!