View Single Post
Old 06-20-2008, 10:17 AM   #8
Marlee
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanel49 View Post
We were thinking of only making her have one litter just so she can experience mother hood, it doesn't have to be with a morkie we just figured since we are getting one anyways. We do know other yorkies in the area whom we can get them together. Our main concern is if 5.1 lbs. is a safe weight for my female to breed and what weight should the male be?

Doing this for the "motherhood" experience is a serious mistake. No dog needs to experience motherhood. We breed to a standard, a higher quality of Yorkie, to mix on purpose is something most of us have a serious distaste for.

Do you want to risk a c-section or the death of your beloved dog? It can happen even if all things look right. We had a great bitch in Monroe, she was beautiful and best we had seen in a long time. When it was finally time to breed her all things went to HE**. It looked like she could deliver on her own, and all the puppies were small enough to fit through the birth canal, yet when the whelp began something was wrong, the baby was stuck sideways in the birth canal, she was rushed in for an emergency c-section (1500 BTW) to deliver 4 pups, then 4 weeks later she had another serious condition of eclampsia, which again nearly took her life, and left me raising 4 pups on my own not to mention another 500 dollar vet bill, this is on top of my stud fees.

Then there was the added expense of babies and their vet care, and the problems of puppy formula for 4 dogs, that alone cost over 150 for two weeks of formula. My last litter with Bridget one of the pups became extremely ill with pneumonia, he was rushed into the er and after 4 days there and 4000 we had a sickly pup to care for, he is fine now, but I had to care for him until he was 3 months as mom refused him.

Does it always go wrong no... but do you really want to chance your dogs life for her to experience being a mom? Are you ready to have a puppy die in your hands? Are you ready to lose you momma dog if things go badly? Can you afford the added expense of the unknown.

It is not all peaches and cream, we do this because we love the breed. I would never mix a dog on purpose and add to the problem of overpopulation. I think you should also consider that the puppies need to be cared for for 10-12 weeks and it is a stinky job at times literally. The mess they make is unbelievable and you have to stay on top of it. I just think you should consider all the things and all the possibilities before you breed. I know I looked at it long and hard, and I still had one bitch that did not work out.

No dog needs to be a mom, the owner just wants them to be

Sorry if I offend you, but this was my experience and MOHO
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!