View Single Post
Old 08-29-2005, 09:06 AM   #11
Ladylavender
YT 500 Club Member

Take a deep breath and relax! I know every now and then I have to remind myself not to get uptight about the potty training thing, because that anxiety will directly communicate itself to my Millie. I am so focused on this "getting Millie housebroken" it has become the only thing that I think about and really upsets me when she has an accident. So I know you must be getting quite tense!

I think that your puppy may be getting stressed out in the crate and that is why he is pooping and peeing in it. You need to try to reinforce the crate but in little increments. Try keeping the crate out and putting food in there, scattered around and have him investigate it and go inside to eat the food, leaving the door open. (you can make it treats, but make it good treats like cheese, canned chicken, hotdogs, whatever he likes.) You can also put a favorite toy in it so that he will will go and retreive it. Once he gets used to the crate and starts going in it by himself, should take a few days or more, then you can try closing the door with him in it for a 1/2 hour and making the time periods longer and longer, so that you can get a break from watching him constantly. You may never be able to keep him in there for 8 hours a night, but some time in there is always helpful for you and him, because then you can take him out of the crate and bring him outside immediately and he will HAVE to go, having held it, then he will begin to associate potty with going outside.

Take away the peepad. I agree that this maybe confusing to him, because he was praised and given a treat, for going inside the house (1 time that it was). He cannot associate that it was the Peepad you were praising him for, but only for going potty and he did that inside.

At night, if he is pooping or peeing at night, in the confined area, you may need to get up with him some time around 2 or 3 pm, whenever he is going, and taking him outside to do his business. (this will be temporary, but you need to avoid the number of accidents he has in the house, to get him used to going outside).

If you take him out for 1/2 hour and he does not go outside, you can bring him in, but keep him on the leash! Have him follow you around until you take him out again in 10 minutes or so, to try to pee again. If he still won't do it, bring him back in and repeat, until he goes outside. When he does, you can give him some freedom but not much! Keep him confined in an area that you will be in. As long as he is on the leash, you can catch him in the act of going, so that you can stop him immediately, with a harsh NO! and take him outside and praise him when he does do it out there.

I look at housebreaking as the law of averages. In order for your puppy "to get" what you are asking of him, you have to have more successes than accidents. The more successes the more that behavior sinks in. So you really have to do what it takes to make the odds work in your favor.

I hope I have helped in some small way.
Ladylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!