View Single Post
Old 06-18-2008, 11:40 AM   #8
cesar49
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heycher View Post
Hi guys,

I'm looking for advice.

My sister and I got pups from the same litter about this time last year. My dog is Violet and is about 4 lbs. Her dog Francie, is roughly the same petite stature (she does have a slightly wider stance), but is really heavy. My guess is she is 8lbs at least. She'll eat all day long and they also have another free feed yorkie in the house. She lives out of town and when I saw her last week, I just could not believe how heavy Francie looked!

I want to tell my sister that there are health dangers if Francie is carrying around too much weight, but I want to have REAL reasons to give her, not just because she is "fat". Like can't their knees go bad if they are putting too much weight on those tiny legs? Aren't there other health concerns also? She does take her to the vet (banfield) but she has not been there in quite a while. My guess is the vet would tell her to put her on a diet, but I don't know.

For anyone who has had to regulate feedings, how should I tell her she should do this? Like feed her 1/2 cup twice a day, or something like that?

I know she loves her dog SO much and takes excellent care of her, but I don't want to hurt her feelings or think I am being critical of her.

ANY advice would be SO appeciated!
Thank you!
Cheryl
if they were the same size at 3 months old .. they should be the same size at one year.. i think they double their weight from 3 months at one year..
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!