View Single Post
Old 06-15-2008, 07:47 AM   #4
CupofDog
YT 500 Club Member

No problem! Feel free to message me whenever - canine nutrition is my favorite thing.

Solid Gold makes great, high quality products. They make a canned product called Green Cow - its a blend with fresh green tripe which is a natural appetite stimulant and aids in digestion, heart, eye, skin and coat health and tons more benefits. Get some cans of that and you can use that as your canned product and not feel like you are giving her something bad. Its nasty, but its really good!

The ratios for switching that your said are exactly right - but go slower if there is any digestive upset. Some dogs can take as long as a couple months to fully switch.

I wouldn't buy Bil-Jac - it seems like extra crap going into her diet.

The reason your breeder is using Nutri-cal so often is that small breeds like Yorkies tend to have hypogylemia until they reach adulthood. Symptoms of hypoglyecmia are glazed eyes, shaking, lethargy, wobbly walking (basically like a dehydrated human).

Nutri-cal is basically sugar and corn syrup. Its junk. It works in a pinch in an emergency, but I wouldn't give it 6 times a day. It'll rot her teeth! Instead, portion out some of her kibble to give as treats throughout the day. By maintaining a level blood sugar, you can avoid needing Nutri-Cal. I always advocate having a tube in case and if you think your pup is getting a little hypo, a bit rubbed on her gums can really help.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!