View Single Post
Old 06-12-2008, 09:10 AM   #5
ScootieBootie
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Have you been working with her and doing the exercises I suggested? If she is that feaful and timid it can take months or longer for her to gain confidence and be able to live a "normal" life.

I really suggest that you keep working with her on meeting new people, going new places, etc.

I also suggest that you have her on leash attached to your belt while your home, so you control where she is and what she does at all times. This will help her relax, as she will know you are in charge.

If she does show fear,timidedneess, to you or someone else, it's crucial that you do NOT try to soothe her with your voice, petting, or picking her up. This only enforces the fearful behavior, as she gets "rewarded" for it.

I really suggest getting family and friends involved in her socialization. Have them come over and ignore her, and while still "ignorin her," have them toss cooked bits of chicken in her area.

The important thing is that you don't give up. She will sense this from you and feel defeated herself. Handle the obstacles that she faces with confidence, and don't double think yourself.

With Liberty, she didn't even know what the outdoors were...I had to walk like I was on a mission (which I was, to raise her confidence and gain her trust.)

What advice did the behaviorist you spoke to on the phone tell you?
ScootieBootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!