View Single Post
Old 06-12-2008, 05:42 AM   #43
Ladymom
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC View Post
Hmmm....That's good that a Surgeon has seen him, but to be honest, there are BETTER tests for you to do than a Ultrasound. I know from experience, as others too, that a U/S is really a waste of $ ($700 to exact for me) - B/c a U/S is NOT 100% Accurate / Guaranteed

The U/S is only as good as the person reading it, and regardless, it's not 100%

They may be able to see a shunt or they may not see one and one could be there.

A U/S will however show the accurate size and shape of his liver.

So, honestly if I were you, I'd look into a Protein C test or the scintigraphy (don't know the proper spelling) - But you can read about them on the U of Tenn (Vet Pages) and Cornell Univ.

Also, I'd run a Full Blood Panel and Urine Anaylsis

I know it's a done deal in your case, but for anyone else dealing with this, don't waste your money on a ultrasound. Unfortunately, most vets aren't that experienced with liver shunts and will recommend them, but the results are unreliable. Dr. Tobias (UT) estimates they are only 80% accurate, Dr. Center (Cornell) as low as 60%.

The proper protocol is to do a bile acids test (all Yorkies should have this done as puppies), then depending on the results, the next step is a Protein C test, then a scintigraphy, not an ultrasound.

Whenever possible it is best to take your Yorkie to a vet school as they are much more experienced with dealing with liver shunts.
Ladymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!