View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 05:42 PM   #2
Erin
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Hi Carol,
My Loki takes PPA twice a day and will for his entire life. He has something called Diabetes Insipidus and he also takes another medication. DI means he lacks the enzyme to concentrate his urine so any water he drinks goes straight to his bladder and makes it very full, which makes it difficult to hold it. The PPA worked for the nighttime wetting even before the vet figured out exactly what was wrong with him and started him on the enzyme. It is very safe and has no serious side effects. I believe an overdose can cause hyperactivity.

We get ours through our vet. I don't know if you can get it online without a prescription? I would call your vet for sure to get dosage information. The Proin is not expensive. Loki takes Proin 25 and he gets 1/4 tablet twice a day. I believe there are 60 tablets and the bottle is only $17 and it lasts several months. Loki is 12 pounds. It is not a problem to get him to take the pill as it is meat flavored - I do not have to hide it - it is his bedtime treat. It is VERY commonly used in older and spayed incontinent females, but I'm so happy it works for Loki as well.

I hope this helps!!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!