View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 10:39 AM   #6
littlelady
Currently Suspended!

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity5098 View Post
Is diarrhea common after whelping? She had them on Saturday and that seems to be the case though this morning she went and it was slightly "harder" but still not a "stool".

Also, a week before she had the puppies her eye turned red and then it went away. Last night we noticed mucus in her eye and it was green but just slightly (so much so it may not even quality as green but definitely not white). Could that be an infection of some sort? We took her temp Sunday and it was 101.1, yesterday was 101.8 which I know is still normal. I guess if it goes up again, should I be concerned?
diarrhea can be caused by eating the placenta, and giving her milk products. dogs are lactose intolerant. I made whelping pudding with lactose free milk and after the placenta's Angel ate got out of her system then the diarrhea cleared up. I had also added a calcium vitamin with her food at night. I stopped giving her esbilac, also it made her get diarrhea.
The eye issue is probably serious what did your vet say. At no times should eye discharge be gree. With that being said it is hard to differentiate. Regular tearing that is done is in small amounts clear to slightly black in color. Usually this makes its way onto the corners of the eyes and onto the side of the nose if not cleaned off by us the owners. I also noted the sclera of my new pups eyes having present prominent blood vessels extending along the eye. The vet told me this was probably irritation by the hair growing around the eye. This puppy upon getting him from the breeder had conjunctivitis, he was started on eye drops that day. Which cleared them up in 7 days. the drainage was copious and thick the eyes just didn't shine like they should have.
WE caught it before it became too much of a problem.
littlelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!