View Single Post
Old 06-09-2008, 03:19 PM   #9
Oscar's Mummy
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan & the M&M's View Post
Why should the surgery be held off? Doesn't the stone need to come out of her bladder? I don't understand why we wouldn't go ahead with the scheduled surgery, and then do the tests after surgery. Could you please elaborate on why you think I shouldn't go thru with surgery. Thank youj.
Often dogs with LS don't do well under anesthesia — they have a hard time coming out of it I believe? (someone correct me if I'm wrong here…). Does your vet seem knowledgeable on shunts and liver disorders? I'm going through this with BOTH my dogs (just found out in the last month or so that they both are liver compromised) and my head was just swimming with all the information I found through my own research.

It really depends on your pup's test results though — Oscar's was only 51 or something (compared to Ruthie's who's pre was 249 and post was 231 and she had some symptoms) and we caught his by fluke in some bloodwork. He is completely asymptomatic and for now I'm holding off on any more tests, etc. He has been through FOUR surgeries in his life, one was just this past January, and has had ZERO problems. Maybe your pup's results were in the lower range and that's why your vet is confident in going through with surgery? If you do go ahead, then be sure to ask if/what extra precautions they take during the procedure to make sure there are no problems.

Good luck with your little one — both my babies are 2 years old as well so I thought I was in the clear when it came to LS, etc.... apparently not! Hope everything comes out well
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!