View Single Post
Old 06-09-2008, 10:14 AM   #13
linkay12003
Yorkie Yakker

Smile nail trimming

Hi everyone!

I'm a groomer and have used every type of nail clipper thats out there.

Most dogs hate the nail clippers, as even though you may not be clipping into the quik of the nail....your furbaby can still feel the pressure placed upon the nail before the initial cut. This alone can cause anxiety issues with our babies.

For the last couple years, I've been using only a dremel tool. Works beautifully. Most dogs accept it. You can also trim further back than clipping without causing nicking or bleeding, thereby causing the quik 'vein' to recede quicker.

I started out with the battery operated (rechargeable) unit. But, the charge does not last long. For beginner's this would be the dremel I would recommend. As you become more experienced using the dremel, purchase the electric model. It has more power and does a better job.

If you have a Yorkie in long coat, you do have to be very careful about any hair coming in contact with the spinning drum on the dremel. It will wrap up the hair in a heart beat and can literally pull the hair out or you'll have to cut it out with scissors.

Some groomers will use piece of nylon hose, place over the paw and poke the dogs nails through the hose then will begin using the dremel.

You just have to be careful but its well worth your time and effort. And most furbabie's like it better.
linkay12003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!