View Single Post
Old 06-09-2008, 05:50 AM   #3
Judy in Waco
Gizzy & Kandi spoil me
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoa View Post
With my new furbaby, I had my boys constantly ring the bell and everytime I had him sit, when he obeyed and remained seated he got a treat. Boss greets everyone sitting and licking so that makes it easier also. When we are going in and out the house we have him sit, if he is going out also he must sit to get his leash on. He is only 3 months old but it is working very well, hope this helps
Oh wow! Great job!

Gizmo will still bark once (like we didn't know he doorbell rang? lol), and most of the time we can get him to stay back when we walk out, but we have to wach him like a hawk because there's been a few times that he's darted out.

Note: If that ever happens to your puppy, just remember to run AWAY from him. This tip saved Gizmo's life once. He runs away when we chase him and one time a big truck was barreling toward us. I remembered reading that tip here on YT, so I prayed and ran AWAY from the street and Gizmo chased me.

We do something we call "double dooring". We use the side door to the house when we go in or out because it has a little laundry area attached with its own door. We tell Gizzy to sit and stay and shut that door before we open the outside door.

I also know people who keep an xpen up around their door to prevent escape artists from darting out.

I agree that training is most definitely the best answer, but these are good back up plans.

Oh and the barking? If it continues, we use THE CAN! (soda can with marbles in it). We shake it until he stops barking and start again if he does. I very rarely have to do this now. I can even say, "Do I have to get the CAN?" and he'll stop now.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!