View Single Post
Old 06-08-2008, 04:31 PM   #13
livingdustmops
Princess Poop A Lot
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llane24 View Post
We used to have this problem, but I saw this on the show "It's me or the Dog" and can't believe how quickly they got the message. When you're going for a walk, the second that they start barking at another dog (or person/whatever), you turn around and start walking the other way. When they stop barking, you can turn around and start walking toward the other animal again. It ony took about 4 times for Lola to figure out that she needed to be quiet to get what she wanted(to see the other dog). Of course I praise her TONS when she gets quiet too (left that part out!). Oh yea, the neighbor that you're walking toward might think you're a little nutty...but if you're a Yorkie owner, then you probably ARE a little nutty! Oh yeah, and definately don't raise your voice at the dog while they are barking. They said that the dog thinks that you are "joining in" and that it actually helps to reinforce the behavior!
Don't you love that show! I watched the same one you did and think this lady does a fabulous job with understanding dogs and not using negative training.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!