View Single Post
Old 08-27-2005, 04:48 AM   #1
susansmom
YT Addict

Default Fox after my baby!

A couple of months ago we saw three half grown fox kits playing in our backyard where it backs up to the deep woods. They were rolling around like puppies and they looked so cute. Then a few weeks later the lady up the road told me she'd been shooting them because they came around in broad daylight and she was afraid they were rabid. We didn't think that indicated rabies in foxes, but we let it go because she has small children and what can you say to a woman protecting her children? All this was before I got my Susan and we'd all but forgotten about it; besides we knew the neighbor had killed one and wounded another and was after the third.

About a week ago when I was outside with Susan at dusk I saw an animal come into the yard, but I couldn't make it out and I thought it might be the neighbor's cat except that it had awfully big ears for a cat.

Then yesterday afternoon, I had Susie out off lead and a young adult fox came into the yard. She saw it and started wiggling and running toward it. Then it snarled and I looked and saw it. At first I thought it was a bobcat because of the snarl. Susie's getting to that independent stage and she wouldn't stop immediately when I told her to and I panicked. Fortunately my husband was out working on the car and he came running and threw a rock at the fox and it ran off and Susan came back when he yelled.

So now Susie has lost her off lead priviledges. It gives me the creeps to think that fox is out there waiting for her. It's pretty scary. The fox was really close yesterday, about the distance you have to leave between the last parked car and the corner when you have cars parked along the street. I guess it really could be rabid. The neighbor called some sort of official and they told her to just shoot it, so I don't think we're going to get any action out of whatever they call Animal Control here. I'm going to tell the vet this week when we go. Plus I want to get a pump bb gun that I can pump up just enough to give a nasty sting. I don't want to use anything more powerful because the fox sometimes goes into the woods between our house and the neighbors' and I'm afraid I might shoot one of the kids. They're not supposed to be in the woods there, but you never know. I'm not as skilled at gun safety as my husband is.
susansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!