Thread: Cancer
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2008, 05:13 AM   #7
katielove
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess_cacai View Post
Just wondering if any furbaby owner have encounter problem with their Yorky having Cancer issues. I met someone who own 6 years old male Yorky whose suffering cancer, and her owner was really devastated that his furbaby has only limited time to live. Can anyone share their experience...
I unfortunately have dealt with cancer in my shih-tzu that was 12 1/2 years old. She had acute lymphoblastic leukemia and passed away about 2 months after she started having symptoms. The information I got from my vet was that cancer is much more common (at least A.L.L.) in larger breeds of dogs. My dog started with swollen glads and what looked to be an eye infection. Even with antibiotics and steroids she wasn't able to fight even the eye infection and things just kept going down hill. At first my vet didn't really think it was cancer (I declined blood tests and things of that nature) but I had to take her back a couple days after she was done with her 1st antibiotic and it was at that visit he confirmed it.

So from what I've heard, cancer isn't common in smaller breeds but possible. Again, just my experience and what I heard from my vet. My only advice is to just enjoy the time and days the dog has left.
katielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!