View Single Post
Old 08-26-2005, 07:40 PM   #1
txshopper73
Donating YT 14K Club Member

Default Spike...an English Bulldog killed today

My daughter is spending a night at her friend's house and the mother and I are good friends. Anyway, they (Andy & Joanne) have a CUTE white English Bulldog named Spike. Spike was 8 weeks old. Well, long story short, Andy and Joanne got into a huge argument. Andrea (their daughter and my Sarah's friend) wanted to take the dogs out for a walk. Andrea had Spike and my daughter had their weiner dog.

Spike is not collar/leash trained...he was only 8 weeks old. They did manage to go for a very short walk and went back home. Spike didn't want to walk anymore so Andy jerked the leash VERY HARD. They took Spike inside.

Spike started having labored breathing. After about 10 minutes, he was still breathing funny so Joanne took Spike in to the emergency vet.

Spike was overheated. He started building fluid up in his lungs and eventually started bleeding from the mouth. I don't know all the details or if the jerk of the collar/leash had anything to do with it but Spike ended up bleeding to death.

Keep the family in your prayers. They lost their female Bulldog (2 years old) earlier this year to a grass allergy...her trachea completely closed.

I always recommend using a break away harness instead of a collar. It's very possible that the jerking cause a break in the throat area causing blood to trickle into the lungs.

Something to think about if you are a collar user.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!