View Single Post
Old 06-05-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
For My Coby
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Default Storm phobias?

I used the comfort zone for a high strung female. While it did help her marginally, it did nothing for my Shih Tzu with storm PHOBIAS. There are several threads here on the subject on both general fears and phobias.

Unfortunately, I've had to do a lot of research. There is a lot of very interesting and very true information on the subject. If they go beyond "scared", it doesn't seem like any training, holding, reasoning, etc. works. Crating doesn't work for us either. (I haven't slept for the past three nights because of our constant storm patterns.) The thing that I found that has worked the best is my version of the "Anxiety Wrap" (based on the pressure therapy used with autistic children). The real wrap is very expensive. But I use two premie snap t-shirts (one snapped in the front and one snapped in the back) that are very tight. This does help calm him. And now, when I get the shirts out in a storm, he looks relieved. I told our holistic groomer about it, and she has a client who uses a cut off tube sock in the same way.

Good Luck with your poor baby!
For My Coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!