View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008, 02:13 PM   #14
Lili
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleswman View Post
I thought that the female is ok to be a little longer due to her ability to have puppies..??? Is that not correct?
I have read that the standard doesn't specify SQUARE. It says "rather short".

I'm not really sure what the means, but many think Yorkies should be SQUARE. I wish someone could find out if that is true, or if it is only interpreted that way?

Here is an article I read recently for your interest:
This is from Yorkie Club Magazine by Sonia Pagani:

One must keep in mind the exact proportions - balance of the body. It should be compact, not necessarily square. The length may be moderately greater than the height at the withers; otherwise, the angulations of the shoulder and of the rear will be too straight. Also, the legs must be proportioned to the height of the thorax, with short hocks. The pasterns must not be flexible and the dog should have closed cat feet.

When the angulations are at its best, and the arms have the proper length, the neck “comes out” well allowing the dog to keep the head uplifted during movement - this will give the Yorky elegance.
The same may be applied for a well proportioned head. The muzzle should be neither long nor short, a good “stop”, flat skull and parallel axis skull-muzzle. This gives the exact positions for the eyes, which should not be round, nor too big and should have dark pigment. The size of the head must be proportioned and in balance with the body - rather small but not too small.

Now don't get me wrong, I love sqaure a lot, I just like to know the finest details of the standard and prefer to get as close as I can.

Does anyone have any feedback of their own regarding this?
Lili is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!