View Single Post
Old 06-03-2008, 11:29 PM   #1
jadecomputergal
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Yet another question about patellar luxation

I've looked through the forums here, and I can't find an answer to these specific questions, but there are so many posts about this problem that I may have missed it. If so, please forgive me for asking a repeat question.

One of my Yorkies, a rescue, has luxating patellas in both hind legs. My vet picked up on it as soon as I got her. I started to have the surgery even though it's terribly expensive, but then I found out the convalescence period was two months, and I was horrified. I had thought maybe a couple of weeks. She loves to run and play, and I can't imagine her having to sit in a bed with a cast for that long, being unable to walk properly, and being unable to run at all. I was heartbroken even thinking about this. She had a hard time even with her spaying. She went to the bathroom in her bed for three days even though she's full trained, and wouldn't come out even to eat or drink. I had to take water and food to the bed for her. I had both my girls spayed at the same time, and the other was running around the house the next day like nothing had happened.

I asked my vet what she would do if it were her dog, and she said she'd wait to see what happens. She's only a grade two, and not clinical, but once she becomes clinical the damage isn't reversible. My vet, whom I think very highly of, said we should just monitor her closely since many small dogs with low-grade luxation live their entire lives without becoming clinical. What do all of you think about that? Surgery now, or wait?

My second, and more pressing question, is how can I tell this on my own? I'm going to look at some new puppies soon, and I'd like to know how to look for it. I even called the vet to ask if she could give me tips, but she said if the gait isn't abnormal, it's difficult for a layperson to detect. She said I could try comparing one to the other to see if I could tell the difference. Well, I can't. Tali's knees seem to be completely stable when I do what I see the vet do, and they feel the same to me as my other Yorkie's. If any of you could tell me what to look for other than obvious things like an abnormal gait (which even Tali doesn't have), I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks in advance.
jadecomputergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!