Thread: Dogs and memory
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008, 11:26 PM   #3
Beabble
YT 2000 Club Member

Lol, that was a great story to the poster above me, I bet your Mom never accused your dog anymore of being the instigator. I to believe dogs have memories, I have a little story of my own. Our kids were younger, but the son I'll be talking about her was about 5 or 6 years old at the time. We had a boxer, springer spaniel mix, he was the first true heart dog I ever had, his name was Appollo. It was Christmas Eve and the kids have ALWAYS opened their gifts at 12:01, it's tradition around here, lol. Anyhow, the kids had opened their gifts and around 1:30, the hubby and I had them gather all their bedrooms. Hubby had to leave for work and it had been a long night, so, they gathered them and went upstairs. Bub yelled down and asked if they were allowed to play for a lil whole and I told him yes, for a little bit. Hubby left for work and I cleaned up the mess downstairs. Apollo always stayed downstairs as he wasn't allowed up in the kids room because our youngest son has asthma which was worse at night back then. We taught Appollo he was not allowed upstairs. We tried to keep the boys room as dander free and stuff as possible. Anyhow, I cleaned up the mess and then sat down on the couch to watch a lil TV before I went to bed. Appollo was pacing back and forth, back and forth at the bottom of the steps. He REMEMBERED he WAS NOT allowed up stairs. However, he started whining and it really got my attention. I was just getting ready to get up when all the sudden Appollo took off like a bolt of lightening up the steps! I KNEW something had to be wrong for him to do that. I took off up the steps in the dark and the first room I ran nto was the boys. I turned the light on and OMG, I was SO INSTANTLY SICK! There stood Appollo beside Bubs bead puling a PLASTIC BAG off of Bubs head. It was a bag that one of his new toys were in and he had put it on his head for some reason and then fell asleep with it on!! I was petrified to death that he was dead. I ran to his bed and as I got there, Appollo was dropping the plastic bag on the floor and pushing it under the bed with his nose. I grabbed my son up and start shaking him, THANK GOD he was alive, he was ok. I sat and hugged him and cried. I looked around the room and Appollo was gone. After I put Bub back to bed and took all the plastic out of his room, I went downstairs, there sat Appollo at the bottom of the steps, he KNEW, he REMEMBERED he wasn't allowed upstairs and he went back down after he had gotten the plastic bag off of Bubs face. And I know in my heart he was sitting at the bottom of those steps cause he REMEMBERED what happened upstairs to Bub and he was sitting there waiting for me to assure him that everything was ok. No one can EVER prove to me that a dog doesn't have memories. If they didn't, they couldn't be trained. If a dog doesn't have memories, why does Maggy May ALWAYS dig and try and lift my shirt up when I wear certain PJ bottoms that have strings around the waist so she can chew the string? She ONLY does this when I wear the two different pairs that have the strings arojnd the waist, she doesn't do it to the ones that don't have strings, she doesn't even try, and she can't SEE them cause I have a long shirt on over the waist part.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!