View Single Post
Old 06-01-2008, 09:07 PM   #13
lilbumbleybees
YT 1000 Club Member

I am right in there with you. Yodi has been battling demodectic mange for 3 months now. We're on our third month of doing ivermectin daily and a 10 minute benzoyle perozide bath once a week. Dr. Scorey said last month that we would do the dip if Yodi wasn't cleared of the mites, but when we went last week for his third ski scraping he did have one mite from the one spot he scraped and instead of resorting to the dip this time he upped the dosage from .05CC to .06CC daily of the ivermectin. So now we're doing that until we go back next month for our fourth skin scraping. I've now started researching this mitaban dip and it scares the hell out of me on my little 5 lb. guy. I have started rubbing in pure Vitamin E oil all over his body twice daily and I am going to start him on fish oil poured over his food tomorrow. Somewhere else I also read that sesame seed oil is good for immune function and skin repair. I'm just trying everything I can to keep from dipping! I feed him and my three other Merrick Milderness Blend dog food. You can find it at most natural/organic health food stores or specialty dog boutiques. They go nuts for it. I may start just him on the raw frozen food that Bone Appetit (our specialty bakery and boutique here) sells though. Merrick is a FABULOUS food, but I've been reading that the raw is really good for building up their immune systems so we'll see. I still have some research to do. I may start the Vitamin E internally instead of topically. I'm really not sure which is better. I just heard the Vitamin E was good for helping with their skin and i bought the topical oil since I wasn't sure what pills to get. I have found some sites saying that dogs have a hard time breaking down the gel capsules in their system so I'm guessing you would want to break them open and pour over food. We should get together and dicuss our strategies and how our babies are doing with them. Feel free to PM me!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!