Thread: Play Biting
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2008, 10:24 AM   #10
kdlmon
☺Cooper☺
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyancer View Post
My yorkie is 11 months old, and he has had a real problem with this as well. He has greatly improved though! Ignoring them really does work. But you have to REALLY ignore! First I would say "no bite" really firmly and put him on the floor. Then I stood with my back to him and my arms crossed and looked straight ahead. He would not give up easily...jumping at me and nipping my pant legs. But, no matter what he did I did not move and I did not look at him. I would hold this position for anywhere from 30-60 seconds. And, he would always give up eventually because it just wasn't any fun when I was just standing there like a statue. Once he was off finding something more interesting to do I would go back to what I was doing. For awhile he would immediately come back at me and start nipping at my hands and feet again, and I would have to repeat the whole process all over again. It took several repititions of this before he finally would completely give up. But, he always did give up. After a couple weeks of this he very rarely nips at me. And, now when he does I don't have to be quite so extreme. I just say "no bite" really firmly and put him on the floor. This is enough for him to leave me alone now. It is a very frustrating habit, and takes a lot of patience to break, but you can do it! I never thought I would get Sebastian to stop and he is so much better now! Good luck
Thanks for the advice. Cooper is 8 months and a total love. But when I play with him he gets overly excited and starts nipping at my hands. I am going to try your technique!
kdlmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!