View Single Post
Old 05-30-2008, 07:13 PM   #3
nuts4yorkies
Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnie View Post
so sorry to hear about the ones who didn't make it. Sometimes there is just nothing that works. As for the smallest, keep helping to place him on the mom. Make sure that he is getting his belly full. You may have to weigh him before he eats and again after to make sure he is doing ok. He should get stroinger. If you don't feel like he is getting enough, by all means you can suppliment him, but it is important to let him nurse from Mom first, then give him a little suppliment if he needs it.
Thank you Sunnie He weighed about 3.3/3.4 oz at birth this morning around 10am. I weighed him again just now and he is 3.5oz He is gaining. He is obviously smaller and weaker than the other two, so I will be watching him closely. I would prefer he gets his mom's milk rather than me having to supplement. Her smallest in her first litter was 2.5oz!!!! Too small for me!!! Any ideas why I lose a pup or two each litter???? I am new at this (I've been breeding horses for years, although I understand that dogs are MUCH different). I've had a few minor problems with my horses, but have never lost a foal. Is it more common than not to lose pups with the smaller breeds? Thanks again for all your help
nuts4yorkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!