View Single Post
Old 05-29-2008, 07:01 AM   #1
csm08mms
Senior Yorkie Talker

Exclamation Dead birds and West Nile!

I had the scare of my life this morning! As I brought the mail out to the mailbox for the postal worker to collect, I thought I would have Callie come out with me to go potty. She sniffed around, did her thing, then ran over to the neighbor's yard and sniffed some more, no big deal. After many minutes of sniffing the same spot I decided to investigate...

Low and behold, a big fat dead bird. I panicked. It's that time of the year again, mosquitoes are coming out, and they are still carrying the West Nile Virus, according to the CDC. Being a nurse, I tend to freak out at little things like this more than the average person (according to the boyfriend.)

So I went to the CDC's website, CDC West Nile Virus Homepage and checked out how to report the dead bird to my local dept. of health. The poor guy on the phone probably thought I was a nut.

Anyway, as far as I know the bird was not a crow or a raptor birds (falcons etc.) which are the only types that the NE DHHS will come to collect and test. West Nile Virus can only be transmitted, according to the NE DHHS by blood, which Callie did not bite in to the bird, thank God!

I thought I would inform everyone of this, as some areas of the country have higher incidence of WNV.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!