View Single Post
Old 05-28-2008, 11:55 AM   #4
Yorkieluv
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

In my opinion, the ameroid constrictor is much safer than the cellophane band...The AC closes the shunt off slowly to avoid portal hypertension which can be dangerous...The increase in blood flow can cause serious complications...Or it's possible that if the pressure is too high due to the shunt being closed off completely too quickly, it can cause more shunting...AC should be used because it has better success rates as far as I know....This is just my personal opinion. University of Tennessee's website has a lot of information on this.

As far as the biopsy goes, JMHO I think it's a good idea for them to go ahead and take a biopsy at the time of spay because this is the only way to 100% confirm that your baby has MVD. If they're already going in, then I don't see a reason why not to go ahead and do this. Now, if they're opening her up ONLY for a biopsy, then I would say to possibly reconsider and do a Protein C test instead.
A Protein C test will not for sure say if she has MVD or liver shunt, it will just point you in the direction of likely to be liver shunt or likely to be MVD.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!