Thread: Back problems ?
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2008, 07:37 PM   #4
Connie
Loved by Maddie & Libby
Donating Member

My daughter's yorkie, Kirby, had a ruptured disc in his back and he was 3 years old at the time also. He got so bad that more than once, we thought we would lose him. I'm happy to say that he recovered...it took about 7 weeks before he started showing improvement and probably nearly 3 months before he was almost back to normal. The one VERY important thing with a dog that has a back problem is to keep them quiet and not let them exercise...only let them walk when you take him out to potty...then pick him up an bring him back in. Our vet had us keep Kirby in a cat crate to keep him from moving around. If Auggie's problem is with a disc, you don't want it to rupture or you will be looking at a very long recovery time. By keeping them quiet and not allowing him to move around, it should heal, rather than rupture.

I am not trying to sound like a know-it-all, but I just don't want to see you go through what we went through with Kirby. Maybe it isn't even the same type thing, but it couldn't hurt to baby him and keep him quiet. When we kept Kirby in the cat crate, we'd take him out often and just hold him on our laps because it's heartbreaking to see them caged up like that.

Good luck with Auggie and I hope he gets better soon!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!