View Single Post
Old 05-24-2008, 02:50 PM   #1
katielove
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Questions about newly adopted Yorkie

A little over a week ago, I adopted a female Yorkie who is almost 2 years old. The information I received from the breeder (whom I purchased her from) was that she is a completely healthy dog but since she had complications with her 1st and only pregnancy the breeder had her spayed and no longer wanted her.

Willow is adjusting wonderfully in her new home and is also loving all of the attention she now receives on a daily basis. I don't think she had a very good life before, I think she lived in the garage with the other dogs and wasn't around people very often.

In the short time that shes lived here, I've already had her to the vet to get her up to date on her shots and checked out. At the vets office we ran into some concerns that he had about her. Willows teeth are horrible and he questioned her actually age. He also mentioned that she still had a puppy tooth in there as well. When I asked the breeder about this she told me that "her" vet didn't mention her teeth being bad at all and didn't think a cleaning was necessary. Willow was just spayed in February. Before I get back in touch with her, I wanted the opinions of others who might be a little more informed about this kind of stuff. Willow is staying and will be loved regardless of her age or teeth but I'm upset that I even have to think about this kind of stuff.

My concerns are this:

1. Should a dog this young need her teeth cleaned?

2. Is it possible that Willow is older than I was originally told?

3. Isn't it common for a vet to remove puppy teeth that haven't fallen out yet at the time of being spayed?

Since writing all of this information down, I'm now questioning some things even more. Willow was born in November 2006 then spayed in February 2008. Her first year shots clearly should have been done in Nov. 2007. I love Willow and don't want her to have additional pain/problems down the road. I'm sorry if this is confusing and I'll answer any additional questions the best that I can to help make sense of this whole situation and to get some much needed advice!!

Thanks, Kate and Willow
katielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!