View Single Post
Old 05-23-2008, 03:29 PM   #13
Oscar's Mummy
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie1723 View Post
I just want to thank all of you who responded to my question about Liver Shunts. We have the results of Penny's bile acid test - her pre-meal level was 22.8 (the vet said normal levels should be less than 10); and her post-meal level was 210.3 (normal levels should be less than 20). The vet called late last night with the results. Penny is back at home with us now, is eating well - Science Diet L/D, taking her medication, and seems to have a little more energy. At this point, we are still trying to decide what to do - take the emotional and financial risk of getting Penny surgery, or return her to the breeder to possibly never have the surgery that may save her life. Our vet has contacted Dr. Tobias at the University of Tennessee, but we have to decide if that is the best option for Penny and for us. There are just so many what ifs at this point. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers, as this is a very difficult time for us all.

Thanks,
Vickie

I'm going through the same thing right now with my little Ruthie — trying to decide what's right for her. At this point, I'm leaning towards more testing to try to pinpoint exactly what it is. It's a difficult decision to have to make. Ruthie is 2, so I really thought that we were 'in the clear' as far as liver shunts, etc. and she had shown no clear symptoms. Just reared its ugly head suddenly. And it doesn't help when I've got vets advising me to do surgery and her breeder strongly advising me not to. I certainly do understand what you're going through — it's difficult to even consider giving up a puppy regardless of the circumstance and regardless of how long they've been with you. I was attached to Ruthie from day one as I'm sure you have been to your little one. Just remember that no decision is the wrong decision so long as you do what you believe to be right for both you AND your pet.

Good luck with Penny - keep us updated
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!