View Single Post
Old 05-23-2008, 01:46 PM   #1
tamandkota
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Question Demodectic Mange - again..please help!

Hello everyone, I am new here..so please forgive me if I am not doing this correctly.
My name is Tamara, and I have a female yorkie named Dakota (she turned a year old in january). I am writing this because I need some help with kota's demodex. Last november dakota got a terrible case of what my vet said was demodex. He said it was a bit unusual for her to have gotten it when she was that old, he said normally when dogs get it when they are very young. He gave her shots and oral antibiotics and we did four mitaban dip treatments, one dip every two weeks. By week eight/nine she seemed to be cleared up and the vet said hopefully that would be it. Unfortunately, she has it again, and it is worse than the first time. I was wondering if there is anything I can do at home, or anything to help keep her from getting this anymore? It kills me to see her like this. The first time she got it the vet said it was because her immune system was not strong enough to "fight" it off, he said every dog has the mites...she just wasn't able to fight off the infection due to an underlying "something". When I asked him what that "something" was and what to do to fix it he said it wasn't anything. I was thinking, when we (humans) have a weak immune system or are sick, we ca take vitamins, supplements...that sort of thing. So Wednesday I asked the "nurse" at the vet's office (when I came to pick kota up from her dip, the vet had gone into surgery) if there was something I could do, and she said no...I just had a dog that has demodex and MAYBE after a twelve week course of treatment (dips every two weeks) she might not get it again. But treatment is very expensive, and my husband and I don't have alot of money as I am still in school. And I am used to giving kota baths at least once a week. She tends to get a little "greasy", and the medicine for her ear infection doesn't help that. Oh yes, that is the other thing..she keeps getting ear infections, mainly in the one ear, the vet says it is both bacteria and yeast. But I clean her ears with wipes and q-tips after every bath!! Is there a treatment I can do at home that is as effective as the mitaban dips every two weeks at the vet? Is there anything I can give her to help clear this up and keep her from getting the demodex again?? Anything you might know or could suggest would be GREATLY appreciated. It kills me to see my baby like this.
Thank you,
tamara and dakota
tamandkota is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!