View Single Post
Old 05-23-2008, 05:22 AM   #3
diggy4
Bella Boo & Diggy Too!
Donating GS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itspuppyluv View Post
Tell us more about him. Has it just started to happen? Or is it all the time? How old is he? (I don't want to assume, I call mine baby and he is four years old) How much does he weigh? If he is a puppy or tiny it's possible it could be hypoglycemia.

HYPOGLYCEMIA (Neonatal or Juvenile in nature)
Hypoglycemia is when the blood sugar levels (glucose) fall well below normal. Glucose is what the body uses as fuel and is necessary for the brain tissue and muscles to function. Hypoglycemia is often seen in toy breeds, and frequently in young toy puppies. It can cause your puppy to become confused, disoriented, drowsy, have the shivers, stagger about, collapse, fall into a coma, or have seizures. Typical signs are listlessness, depression, staggering gait, muscular weakness, and tremors -- especially of the face. Puppies with a severe drop in the blood sugar develop seizures or become stuporous and go into a coma. Some puppies may only exhibit weakness or a wobbly gait, and occasionally a puppy that seemed just fine is found in a coma. Most of the time the symptoms can be controlled by eating, or by giving some glucose such as Karo syrup mixed with water to the puppy. If the puppy is in a coma, don't try to get it to swallow anything. Dip your finger in Karo and rub it under the tongue then get to the vet immediately. If not treated, it can result in death.

Health (Foundation of the Yorkshire Terrier)
good post i agree
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!