View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008, 08:19 AM   #16
jen0225
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliottandnolan View Post
Hello All-

I am sure you must get these questions all the time, but I have wanted a Yorkie for a very long time now, and I think there is a chance I might be able to get one in the near future (a friend's dog MIGHT be pregnant). It will be a puppy. However, I have some questions. That is where you all come in ...Would anyone mind helping me out so I can make an informed and wise decision?

Thanks in advance!
Heather

1 - I have a 10-year-old black lab, male. He is the most gentle, sweet boy in the world. How do Yorkies interact with other dogs? I have a male & female yorkie, my husband has a male & female AmStaff (American Staffordshire Terrier), we used to have a 110 lb 1/2 American Bulldog 1/2 Staffordshire Bull Terrier but he passed away. All get along fine, our big dogs recognize that the little dogs are little and are careful of them.

2 - I have two young boys (4 and 6). I am, of course, a bit nervous about getting a small dog due to the fact that I have children, and this puppy will always be around kids. Obviously as a puppy, I am not worried, but I do worry that as it gets older, it will be grumpy, nippy, and not very good with kids. What are your experiences? I have 3 boys, 13, 7 and 2 - my 13 year old, Trace, wants to be a vet and he is very loving and gentle, my 7 year old, Hunter, has claimed my 10 month old male Yorkie for his own - Gizmo sleeps with Hunter and bounces a foot high when Hunter comes in from school, my 2 year old, Landon, loves to climb up on the couch & give both Gizmo & Babsy kisses and then turn around and let them groom him (they love to lick his hair into place)

3 - Are they easy to train? And what sex is easier to train? I am going to admit that being surrounded by boys, I desperately want a little girl so that I can be a little fru-fru with her . Sounds silly, I know!! I agree with what the mom of 5 boys said FEMALE, don't get me wrong - I love Gizmo, he is a doll but my boys complain EVERYTIME I want to put his sweaters on him, or put his hair in a top knot with a bow that coordinates with the sweater or his carrier...they had no problem with Babsy wearing a black bow in her top knot with bling on it that matched her pearl and crystal collar for New Years Eve (which happens to be her birthday) but they had a hissy over me wanting to put a bow that matched Gizmo's bowtie collar on him for the occasion!! - also I seem to remember Babs being easier to train but there are 3 1/2 years between them so I may just be favoring my pretty teapot girl that can do no wrong

Thanks again for helping me out! I am loving all the pictures of your babies! So cute!!!!

Anyway hope some of that helps - the bottom line is you have to go with what you are comfortable with.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!