View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008, 06:16 PM   #4
Grizzley Bear
MY HEART AND SOUL
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyAnn101 View Post
I would get the bile acid test ran first. There are two different types of shunts. One that is correctable with surgery, the other is not. If the bile acid test comes back above normal limits the next step would be to have a stinagraphy test ran. (spelling is off). This test is more accurate than an ultra sound. Talk to your vet, make sure they are very experienced with liver shunts, if not find a vet who is. I lost my baby Gizmo this past February after liver shunt surgery. He was almost four years old. the success rate is higher if the shunt is found while they are still puppies before liver damage occurs. Dr. Tobis with the University of Tennessee is an expert on liver shunts and offers great info. on University of Tennessee's Vet Hospital web site. After surgery the puppy is placed on a low protien diet for around six months (I think) after that if the bile acid tests return to normal range the puppy can go back to eating normal food. If the levels do not return to normal or if the shunt cannot be corrected through surgery alot of shunt puppies can live normal lives with the help of special diets and medication. Gizmo's surgery at UT costed around $2,400.00. There was two other yorkies who had the surgery on the same day as Gizmo. Both puppies were young under one year old, both left the hospital the next day with a good prognosis. Research Liver Shunts, and the methods of treatment. Ask questions, and feel comfrotable before making any decisions about surgery. Not all Vets are experienced with this type of surgery. Good luck, your baby will be in my thoughts and prayers for a recovery.
My condolences to you on your loss of Gizmo. I am so very sorry. My Grizzley Bear lived with a shunt. I agree with everything you said.

Vickie where are you located in N. California? UCD has a wonderful Veterinary school that is experienced in this. I wish you luck and if you want to please feel free to PM me. I will keep you and Penny in my thoughts and prayers also.Hugs to you and her.

Mary
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!