Thread: Giardia
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008, 02:37 PM   #9
LuvMySissy
Luv my Angel, too!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinmay View Post
Maggie's first stool sample had come back positive with Coccidia and we treated that...her second stool sample came back positive for Giardia. I actually questioned the vet's office whether there may have been a mix up at the lab because she had no symptoms...

With the Giardia, we were told to give her the Panacur every day for 7 days. Yesterday was the last day of the Panacur and this morning was our first poop-fest event...there was mucus in both morning stools and each time she went she also leaked a clear fluid and scooted around like a madwoman on all my carpets

Does anyone think this Panacur may have done more harm than good? Perhaps yogurt might help? What kind of yogurt is best for a 3mo old puppy?

Chances are the Panacur did not take care of the Giardia completely. Request Metronidazole. With yogurt, I particularly like Stoneyfield Organic (either regular or lowfat, plain or vanilla) and also like Dannon Natural (either regular or lowfat, plain or vanilla). Start with about a teaspoon and go up to a tablespoon. It will help settle her tummy, but won't do anything for the giardia and mucousy stools.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!