View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008, 02:34 PM   #11
yougetthesmiles
BANNED FOR NOT MAILING PRODUCTS PURCHASED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkyttc View Post
Pee pads for the OP is not the answer. She's trying to train her dog to go outside and not have a habit of going inside.

A belly band/wee wee wrap is not the answer as well. The whole reason is to train the dog to know the difference of going outside for potty stuff and inside to play.

I do agree that the belly band/ wee wee wrap is a temporary fix and almost like a safety precaution.

When do you take him out? I crate trained my yorkie. He's never really had an accident [unless he's sick] in his crate. Truffles goes outside right when I open the crate. I take him outside about 3 - 4 times a day. I used to take him out much more often when he was younger. When I'm at home and let him off, I usually take him out every 2-3 hours.

I know it's difficult. Bring treats that he likes outside with you. When he does go potty outside....whether it's pee or poo, reward him and show a lot of praise. Also patience is key. It took truffles about 6-9 months to figure out potty training and he still had accidents every so often [this is where the belly band/wee wee wrap comes in].

Hope this helps!
I am using the wee wee wrap as a TRAINING TOOL! This is not something that is long term for Kibble, he is doing exellent, he WILL NOT pee in the wee wee wrap, don't ask me why, but when I take it off him, and take him outside, he will go potty outside. If I leave the wrap off him when he is inside, he will squat, so I use the wee wee wrap to PREVENT accidents on my carpet.

I also have WASHABLE potty pads down, my girls use them, and they also go outside.

I do not think crate training is the answer to potty training, the answer is being consistant with your yorkie. Leaving them in a crate to hold it all day will cause bladder infections.

A ex-pen is what I would suggest, it needs to be big enough to have a pad in it.
yougetthesmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!