View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008, 02:25 PM   #10
pinkyttc
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Pee pads for the OP is not the answer. She's trying to train her dog to go outside and not have a habit of going inside.

A belly band/wee wee wrap is not the answer as well. The whole reason is to train the dog to know the difference of going outside for potty stuff and inside to play.

I do agree that the belly band/ wee wee wrap is a temporary fix and almost like a safety precaution.

When do you take him out? I crate trained my yorkie. He's never really had an accident [unless he's sick] in his crate. Truffles goes outside right when I open the crate. I take him outside about 3 - 4 times a day. I used to take him out much more often when he was younger. When I'm at home and let him off, I usually take him out every 2-3 hours.

I know it's difficult. Bring treats that he likes outside with you. When he does go potty outside....whether it's pee or poo, reward him and show a lot of praise. Also patience is key. It took truffles about 6-9 months to figure out potty training and he still had accidents every so often [this is where the belly band/wee wee wrap comes in].

Hope this helps!

Truff-a-Duff & Mommy
pinkyttc is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!