View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008, 11:39 AM   #1
ralphier
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Default I think Ralphie has separation anxiety???!!

Sorry, this is kind of long...

Okay, so me and my boyfriend went down to Key West this weekend for 2 1/2 days. The morning we left I noticed that Ralphie was shaking while I was packing. This is not like him at all. He has learned that when he sees me putting my make-up on that I am leaving and he always sits there watching me and whining. He NEVER shakes though, even at the vet. I figured he must know this was different then me leaving for the store or something so I let it go (even though it broke my heart).

My Mom was coming by to pick him up after I left and she was going to take him for the weekend. She said that he would not play at all and he just slept all day and wouldn't eat much. Again, we figured it was him being depressed since I was gone. To say he is attached to me is an under statement. He is obsessed.

So when I went to pick him up I thought he would be sooo excited and just lick me to death like he always does. Wrong. He could barely walk or lift his head up and his eyes looked all glassy. A mommy just knows her baby and I knew in my heart something wasn't right. He has had several parasites and kennel cough before and he never once acted sick so this really freaked me out. He is such a happy, goofy, playful baby so this was just really not like him. His tongue was really hot and he kept shaking on and off throughout the night so we figured it was a fever.

I gave him some Nutrical and took him to the vet first thing in the morning. They ran full blood work and all they could find was some inflammation somewhere. His blood sugar levels were fine so no hypoglycemia. He also had no fever at that time. I asked them to do a Bile Acid test because I wanted to rule out a liver shunt and had wanted to do this test for a while just to make sure. I am still waiting on those results.

Anyway, he started acting fine when I brought him home, just still a little weak. Then the next day I went to the bathroom and shut the door for like only 1 minute. When I came out he was whimpering so pitiful and just shaking all over. This leads me to believe that maybe he was just absolutely depressed that I was gone, didn't eat, and became weak!! He is PERFECT acting right now. If this is just a case of separation anxiety then the little booger just cost me $200 AHHH...kids

Has anyone ever heard of it being this bad?? He is almost 6 months old but I work from home and literally spend every second with him. Also, I bought him from a pet store (this was before my YT days, please don't crucify me) so he was ripped away from his mommy before he was old enough and he has had really bad bouts with Coccidia and Giardia so he is just super attached to me. I am all he has ever known. Do you guys think it was just separation anxiety??
ralphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!