View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008, 11:57 AM   #1
Sasha311
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default I think my new yorkie is already sick! :(

I know this is quite lengthy but I just waned to vent and thought this was a good place to do it.

Unfortunately I’ve learned that I bought my now 9 week old yorkie from a not so reputable dealer. I already had a scare after she had what was supposed to be her 2nd round of shots. My vet told me she’d be lethargic for a while but if her face swelled or if she threw up to take her to the emergency room. Well she slept for a few hours then woke up around 1am acting very strange. She was restless, pressing her nose in the wall, and spinning in circles. I tried to console her as much as I could. She threw up around 3am and I rushed her in. The vet on call said she could potentially have a liver shunt based on her symptoms but it would be $700 or more to run all the tests to be sure. That was a lot of money for an “educated guess” so I asked if I could take her home and if her symptoms persisted I would then bring her back in. He agreed. I also took her back to my regular vet and her vitals checked out fine. Her fecal test also came back negative. I called the dealer, spoke with the owner and asked if they helped with expenses with puppies they sold who had a liver shunt. He told me with NO emotion that she would die from surgery and would only reimburse my money or I could exchange her for another. First off, I was VERY turned off with how he basically told me she was going to die. How insensitive! Second, even though it’s only been a week and 2 days I have grown to love her and can’t imagine giving her back. That’s like turning your child in for another! I hung up on him I was so livid.

Well she seemed to be improving and acting like a “normal” puppy again so I became optimistic. Until a couple of days ago when she began sneezing. Now she sneezes AND snorts and sniffles. It sounds really bad and she’ll snort about 5 times in a row. Poor thing will sometimes crawl in my lap when she’s having a fit like she just wants me to take the pain away. I’m taking her to the vet again today to get her checked out. I just joined YT and have learned about some of the puppy mills that are truly in the business of making money only! And sadly, after doing the research that I should have done prior to purchasing her, I have read several bad reports and reviews about the dealer. They even changed their name to try and “hide” from anyone who was investigating them. I noticed the name on the building was different than the one on their website when I got there but didn’t think to question it.

I’m hoping these “fits” that she's having is nothing serious. And God forbid she truly does have a liver shunt. So I’m excited yet truly sad about my new little girl. I tear up when I think about the problems she could be facing.
Sasha311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!