View Single Post
Old 05-19-2008, 07:41 PM   #1
I Love Bailey
I Love Angel too!
Donating Member

Smile [News] Boy got his yorkie back!

Tale of stolen dog gets a happy ending

ANIMALS: Police return terrier to boy, 8, after investigation and P-T outpouring.
By Kristopher Hanson, Staff Writer
Article Launched: 05/18/2008 10:42:57 PM PDT

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/liv...19-dog_300.JPG Nathan Pereira hugs his beloved Yorkshire terrier Joci after the stolen pup was returned to him. Police Officers Bernardo Barajas, left, and Tim King traced the dog to a house in Norwalk. They believe the dog was kept by a friend of the street robber. (Stephen Carr / Staff Photographer)

LONG BEACH - One week after a thief snatched an 8-year-old boy's beloved pet Yorkshire terrier off the street, detectives reunited the bubbly canine with his family Sunday evening.
The pup, "Joci," suffering from a patchwork haircut and shave, was found Sunday afternoon at a home in Norwalk, where detectives sniffed the dog out following a nearly weeklong doghunt.
"He missed me," said owner Nathan Pereira, of Long Beach. "As soon as he saw me, he started jumping up and down. I'm so glad he's home."
Nathan's dad, Angel Pereira, said it appeared the thief chopped off some of Joci's whiskers and cut his hair in certain places, but he otherwise appears in good health.
"I was starting to think we'd never see this guy again," Angel said. "It's amazing."
Not long after Joci returned home, the Pereiras introduced him to "Lucky," a dog they adopted from a Press-Telegram reader who learned of the dognapping earlier in the week.
"They're meeting each other right now," Nathan said. "Lucky's a little hyper, and Joci's not sure what to think, but I think they'll be all right together."
The family plans to keep both dogs.
Long Beach Police rescued Joci from a Norwalk home apparently occupied by a friend of the bandit. Officers have reportedly identified the suspect, but have yet to locate him. The Pereiras' nightmare began at about 2:30 p.m. on Mother's Day. Nathan, walking Joci, was pushed to the ground
by the bandit. He briefly pursued the dognapper but soon returned home crying.
The reports of the theft led to an outpouring of support from Press-Telegram readers, including some who wanted to donate money to the Pereiras.
Two benefactors, Charles Humphrey of Compton and Milissa Martinez-Petriello of Long Beach, offered to give them dogs that are both named "Lucky."
Even though Humphrey's Lucky is a Yorkie, the Pereiras accepted Martinez-Petriello's Lucky because she had had the dog for only a week and was not allowed to keep him in her apartment. Both Humphrey and Martinez-Petriello said they were outraged after reading a story in the Press-Telegram.
"What kind of animal would push a kid over and take his dog?" Martinez-Petriello asked. "It's not even human. This is what the world is coming to? It struck a chord with me. You just don't do something like that."
Nathan received Lucky on Friday and was ecstatic, clutching the dog, petting him and announcing, "His tail feels like cotton!"
But not long after that, Nathan lamented: "I miss Joci."
Long Beach police continued the doghunt Saturday and Sunday, taking Nathan on a ride for him to show his path when he chased after the dognapper. Nathan said the suspect was easy to spot because of a distinctive tattoo of a bird on his neck.
"I'm happy because I think we could get Joci back," a hopeful Nathan said. "I hope Lucky doesn't bark at him. I hope the guy gets caught, so he doesn't do this again."
Officers are still searching for the suspect, and believe they may know who he is based on eyewitness accounts and information gleaned during the investigation. Joe Stevens contributed to this report. kristopher.hanson@presstelegram.com, 562-499-1466; joe.stevens@presstelegram.com, 562-499-1281.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!