Old 05-18-2008, 02:23 PM   #4
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladymom View Post
This was written by a vet who is a member on a Maltese forum I belong to:

So your pet has to undergo anesthesia?

I know this can be scary for most people, but if the right steps are taken then it reduces your pets risks greatly.

Pre-surgical work-up
Before your pet is sedated it is highly recommended that your pet have pre-operative bloodwork done. some places this is optional and others it is required. even though your pet may appear healthy, there can be hidden things, or even problems caught early that may be able to be fixed prior to the procedure. the blood work lets the veterinarian know if you pets organs can process the anesthesia appropriately and if anything else needs to be done before your pet receives anesthesia (like iv fluids)

also another thing that should be done before your pet is sedated is a pre-operative EKG. this can detect heart abnormalities that might not be detectable on a routine examination.

an IV catheter is also important. it is an instant access to your pets circulatory system. if the blood pressure drops or rises, heart rate is too fast or slow, or pet is not breathing properly...these problems can be addressed quickly and can be life saving.

Anesthesia

there are different phases of anesthesia. there is a premedication, and induction medication, and a maintenance gas used for the whole procedure.

premeds goals are to relax the pet with a tranquilizer and begin pain control before the procedure is even started. they also reduce the amount of induction medications needed which may be harsher for your pet. there are a vast number of types of premeds so i will not go into detail.

induction medications allow your pet to completely relax and allow the veterinarian to intubate your pet. common medications are Ketamine/valium combination and propofol. ket/val should not be used in animals with kidney or heart problems and in animals prone to having seizures. propofol should not be used in animals with trouble breathing unless there are far worse risks with other medications.

maintenance gas anesthesia may be either isoflurane or sevoflurane. both are very safe. it was once thought that sevo was a superior gas but now it is known to be equally as safe as isoflurane. iso is cheaper and far more common. there are other gases out there but these are the two that can be trusted. my personal preference is isoflurane b/c sevo can lower the pets temperature during recovery from anesthesia and can be dangerous if the patient isnt watched carefully. but with proper care both are a good choice.

Great post!!

Join today and remove this ad!