View Single Post
Old 05-17-2008, 07:39 PM   #8
Yorkiedaze
My hairy-legged girls
Donating Member

We were in the AF for 20 years. My husband retired from the missile field in 2000. I have a son who is in his 14th year in the AF and is not stationed in Rota Spain.
You will need to lose weight if you want to join the AF. Pick up all the brochures. I wouldn't talk too much to a recruiter because they can be such liars. Go to a college that has OTS or an AF training and ask the instructors all your questions. They have nothing to lose or gain like a recruiter and will be perfectly honest.
I think the AF has the best bases and best base housing. Depending on what career field you go in will determine the bases available to you. You will get 30 days paid vacation a year and being an officer you will have a great paycheck, the best housing and so on.
My husband was born and raised in MN. but because of their really high taxes, we went to FL. in our motor home, got jobs & FL. license and then he joined the AF there so no state tax would be taken out of his AF pay. Also you have to look at the big picture. When you retire, you don't want a lot of taxes taken out of your retirement check either.
Try and go into a field that will have the best opportunity for jobs upon retirement. My son is in jets and ground equipment. He will be able to work at any airport in the word when he retires. My husband works for Boeing now on the intercepter missiles. He started out working on part of the space station. He has a fantastic position. So think hard about what you really want available to you upon retirement.
Yorkiedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!