View Single Post
Old 05-17-2008, 07:09 AM   #6
Gracie2006
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

At 11 months, your puppy has long outgrown "nipping". Did your baby leave his litter before 12 weeks? Between 8 and 12 weeks, the dog Mom teaches the babies not to bite. If they leave the litter before 12 weeks or so, they have not learned that this is bad. I got Gracie at 8 weeks and she had a major nipping problem. I got Holly at 12 weeks, no nipping at all, not once. For you, it has been a behavioral problem for some time that needs to be addressed NOW. As my puppy school teacher says, treat it like a felony offense. Every time baby nips, say "no", put him on the floor, walk away and turn your back to him for 30 seconds. Do not acknowledge his presence during the 30 seconds. Don't look at him, don't talk to him, nothing. After 30 seconds, return to cuddling, playing, whatever it was that you were doing. The second he nips, repeat the ignoring. I did this with Gracie and it did not take long at all to break her of the nipping. But you have to be very consistent. If you are not making any headway in a couple of weeks, I would suggest consulting with a dog trainer for other options.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!