View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 09:40 PM   #3
sammiz
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencar98 View Post
It sounds very good and nutritious Sammi. I've never heard of rye berries being something dogs shouldn't have, that's the only ingredient I would question until I made certain it was okay.

Sounds very tasty!
Thanks fo rresponding, Jen. I think I might try it. The vert says everything she gets is good all around but that I should add some grain. So this is why I was thinking about this.

This is the info I could find on rye berries:

Rye Berries are higher in protein, phosphorus, iron, and potassium than wheat. High in lysine, low in gluten, high in fiber. Add cooked berries to soups, salads, breads or breakfast cereals.

Rye Berries (Secale Cereale) are native to Southwest Asia. Rye dates back as a weed, though it was not domesticated until the 4th Century B.C. Rye is now a very popular bread grain, especially in Europe. However, Rye contains fragile gluten properties making it difficult to bake in breads. Rye Berries are the grain of Rye with only the hull removed. Rye is high in amino acids and the B vitamins. Rye, similar to Wheat Berries, has a firm, chewy texture. Rye Berries have a mild walnut flavor.
sammiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!